Wednesday, August 1, 2012

A Follow-Up To Birds Of A Feather

(AKA A post containing a reasonable explanation on why I can't review the sequel to my last review's fanfic.)

So I promised at the end of my review of Birds Of A Feather that I'd go over the sequel Flock Together. I'm not the kind of person that likes to let people down, but I'm afraid that Flock Together is unreviewable. This isn't because its extremely horrible or anything, but there is a legitimate reason, and some discussion about how it fairs with the original story, after the break.

First off, I was actually pretty excited to read this and review it right away. See, this isn't just for me to build up some sort of portfolio for a future career as a writer of sorts and/or improve/show-off my writing and critical analysis skills, but I do it to show people what's good and bad about fanfiction, and even set new readers in the right direction. 

That being said, this story is currently on hiatus. This typically means that the author is taking a break from the story, usually longer than how long it would take to put out an actual chapter of a story or some kind of update. I'm probably going to delete this post if it ever updates, which is why I pondered long and hard about posting this, but that'd probably be a while from now. One could see this post as more of a reaction to a movie trailer or game demo, so there is always that.

The impression I'm getting so far from this fanfic, sadly, is not a good one. Why are my expectations low? Because it hasn't expanded upon the relationships established in the first story so far, instead going into more detail about Pipsqueak's house. His house is apparently a Mystical Wonderhouse of Magic, and it definitely catches my interest, but seeing as this started out as a romance story, the characters are, in my opinion, more important and should be more developed than this awesome-ass house.

Its an odd shift in tone, with the added Comedy tag, but there is some sliver inside the back of my that hopes for some more development and backstory to at least the main two characters, Pipsqueak and Featherweight. There are decent jokes in this sequel, though, so at least the comedy's in the right place.

I guess that's all for now, and I do apologize for the short post. I will have an action-packed and witty review next time, so stay tuned and don't forget to share this blog with your friends and anyone that cares about fanfiction or My Little Pony.

~30kbpm~

No comments:

Post a Comment